Monday, January 21, 2008

Daastaan-e-Daud ...Personal Best

Mumbai 20th January 2008 - The day started very early.. my cell phone alarm going off at 4:00. I had a banana, some water, laced up, got my kit bag that I had packed the night before and trekked to Dadar station. Got myself a first class return ticket after telling the window clerk to keep the change. I was in high spirits and determined not to let minor squabbles over loose change bother me.

VT Station was abuzz with people, all fellow runners: older folks in their yellow 'Harmony' Tees, guys and gals picking up their last drink of water or their first cuppa. I walked around Azad Maidan to get to the commoner's entrance, handed in my kit bag and looked around - runners in all shapes and sizes, dressed in all hues and shoes (some spanking new, marking out the running virgins), some stretching, some running, a few just lolling about. I checked into the Chipholder's section and started a slow warm-up.

As 6:45 came closer, more people crowded the enclosure making it a tad tightly packed. No more stretching or running to loosen up, I was just observing the folks coming in, mentally psyching myself. A few minutes before we were let loose, the crowds milled towards the exit and this is what it looked like - dark skies, the lights sparkling around us, last minute good luck waves and hand shakes, folks taking pix on their mobile phone cameras...quite a jamboree.

At 6:46, they let us out on to the course. I walked towards the start line dutifully ignoring the enthusiasts running past me." You have got to start when you have to start and you will end when you do", I thought to myself.

I started running about a minute before the official start line, synching my stopwatch at the same time and I was off. The first few meters were terribly congested as usual and expected, I slowly made my way through the crowds on D.N. Road, past Flora Fountain where the volunteers and khaki policemen directed human traffic into the turnoff. I have a vague recollection of the next few kilometers - a pastiche of images - some one stopping to retie shoelaces, an attractive face, folks overtaking me and falling back, the crowds on Marine Drive cheering you on. At the 4k marker, I took my first bottle of water and checked the time - 29 minutes, 1 minute longer than my target time of 28 minutes.

Running down the rest of Marine Drive, near Banganga, the eventual winners of the race passed by on the other side. Part of me marveled at those well oiled human machines who had completed almost 18K and were just 3K short of completion... a small part of me was terribly jealous. Up Kemp's Corner bridge was the first trial - I put my head down, shortened my step and didn't want to think about how much was left. Soon I was at the top of Peddar Road heading downwards, looking at more athletes passing us by on the reverse.
I met a familiar face on Peddar Road and we ran together for a couple of minutes exchanging notes and cheering each other on. On the downslope I was doing pretty well, though holding myself back, fearful of a sprain or a cramp.

At Haji Ali, I gave virtual thanks to the Haji whose dargah overlooks the course and ran on. Reaching the turnoff point at the Mela Restaurant was a joy. So far, my pace was 7:37 minutes per KM. I had lost time from my original target, but I was not hurting or anything like last year. At 11.4 KM, I had clocked 1:27:01.

As I approached Haji Ali once again on the back side of my run, I was filled with a little trepidation. The Peddar Road climb awaited me. In fact, the road starts climbing all the way from NAB. I reminded myself that I had done enough hill training - bridges and the like and I would be OK. Once again, head down, short step and one foot in front of the other. I looked up again near Jaslok Hospital and went back to my climbing. Slowly, steadily I made it to the top where the most angelic children stood by the side of the road with Parle Glucose biscuits on a tray and water (they always look angelic after that climb and I always look forward to passing the folks from PRRA - Peddar Road Residents Association). I grabbed a couple of biscuits and a glass of water, thanked the kids and ran further towards the dhols and drums that PRRA puts out.

The 15K marker has always been special to me - there it is, right at the centre of the Kemps Corner Bridge...to me, it signifies that the arduous climb of the Mumbai Half Marathon is behind me and everything is down-hill from here. I cheered a fellow runner, reminded him that only 5K remained and both of us ran together towards Banganga. 16K came and went and as I passed Wilson College, I stopped running for a minute, walked...my hips and calves beginning to pain and cramp up. I tried to shake them off, but didn't quite succeed. I picked myself up and started running again.

Every once in a while, you see a person that shakes you to the core and motivates you to dig deep within yourself to do tremendous things. On this race, I was fortunate to experience this not once, but twice.

The first time was after I started running again. Head down, short steps, one foot in front of the other - that was the way I had started running when I heard loud applause. The applause was uplifting, but it was not for me. There was a handicapped person who was competing and in what glorious style. Head held high, hands on his crutches and a determined look on his face. I ran backwards for a minute or so, caught his eye and saluted him, and his indomitable spirit. I don't know who he was or do not remember his bib number, but he was my first hero of Mumbai this year.

Kilometers flew by and at the Kishco Cutlery turnoff, I got a morale booster, when a bystander shouted "Come on, 5257, you can do it" :-).

I passed the 20K marker and then experienced my second "Mumbai moment". I had the fortunate experience of seeing Angad Dev Singh Dugal on the track. Much has been written about the "never say die" attitude that this young fellow brings to each Mumbai marathon. Angad is differently enabled and his achievements each year serve as a reminder to me of all that is possible. Here is an article on his exploits written recently - http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/You-dont-fall-unless-you-stop-pedalling/263667/
I have Angad's picture cut out from a Sunday newspaper stuck on my mirror so I can see it every morning. It was great to see one of my motivators in action - Angad is my second Mumbai hero this year.

Turning off on D.N.Road, I had one constant refrain in my head - I want to finish before the full marathoners coming in. I ran D.N.Road increasing my pace, racing other finishers.

As I neared the finish line, I pumped my fists in the air (and got a good Marathon-Photos picture out of it as well). I finished in 2:39:55:80, my best time on a half marathon so far.. Net net, I ran a 7.53 minute per KM pace which was lower than my target pace. I was faster on the return leg from Mela back to VT, which was a bit of surprise considering the Peddar Road hill. I am quite gratified I was able to run a faster pace on "old legs". I guess this is the race I would have run in Delhi had I not bonked at the 17K mark there.

The certificate fiasco continued in Mumbai as well.. so the less said about it, the better. Barring that, the organization in Mumbai was impeccable - a warm heartfelt thanks to
- all the volunteers who make the runners' lives easier, whether managing registrations or certificates
- the Mumbai police, the ambulance and hospital staff
- Kingfisher for watering us every km or so
- The food folks at the end of the race - I really needed that banana and bottle of water
- the cheering squad consisting of Mumbai citizenry, especially the PRRA folks - The Parle Glucose biscuits are greatly appreciated

My friends in Mumbai who allowed me to impose on their hospitality - food, bananas, and making do with my waking the whole household up at 4:00 AM, that too on a Sunday - thank you for everything. This personal best is as much yours as it is mine.

Finally, I want to signoff this post with a quote from Angad - "Life is like riding a bicycle. You don’t fall off unless you plan to stop pedalling. So I am pedalling with you wonderful people who are like my training wheels." More inspirational words, I have heard none.
(Quote from www.expressindia.com)

No comments: