Thursday, May 15, 2008

Running in Goa


On the May 1st weekend, the Most Wondrous and I went to Bogmalo beach in Goa for the day. This is a first for me; the MW had some work to take care of and I tagged along. She went off to her work place and I found the complimentary hotel drive to take me to Bogmalo Beach Resort.

That evening, I decided to catch up on my running. I had visions of Rocky (the movie), and strains of Vangelis' Chariots of Fire theme (go figure) going on in my mind, as I stepped on the beach a little after five in the evening. The strip of beach is secluded and does not have a huge horde of people like some of the other beaches in Goa.

At one end of the beach is a little fisherman's shrine in the shape of a cross which I walked towards for warmup. After the obligatory stretching, I ran back to the other end, dodging waves, feeling the spray and feeling good.

On the return leg, I was getting curious stares from the few folks on the beach and small growls from the stray mongrels among other things. I ran back and forth for about 20 minutes, till it got really boring. At each step, my foot would sink into the sand, and I ended up getting it into my shoes and socks (not a very pleasant feeling).

My aptitude at dodging the incoming waves was not improving as I progressed and I got water into my socks. I laboured on, with grit in my feet and squishy socks for some time. I finally got bored of both and headed into the hotel for a welcome swim in their pool.

So much for running on the beach. Very over rated :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh! Do people even run on beaches. Even walking on sand seems to take too much effort. :)

Mahesh Narkar said...

Hi Shantanu,
Thanks for visiting. Yes, if you went to Goa, you would see folks running on the beaches. I guess too many of us grew up watching the Rocky movies :-)

Cheers